Moving home checklist filled with useful information on moving home and what to do and who to notify and when
Moving home can be up there on the list of most stressful things you will ever do in life. But, with some forward planning and organisation, the Campbell Homes moving home checklist can really help minimise this stress. Any questions, please just Contact Campbell Homes
6 WEEKS before the move…
- Confirm the date of your move.
- If you are renting, notify your landlord of your moving date.
- Check your home insurance, make sure you have cover for the day you move into your new home.
- As part of your moving home checklist, Obtain written quotes from several removal firms, check references and check the limits of their insurance.
- Start collecting packing materials.
- If you’re not using professional removers, ask your friends in plenty of time for help.
- Book extra storage space if required.
- Notify the relevant utility companies of your moving date.
- Start decluttering your possessions, remember charity shops are often very grateful for unwanted items, or a boot sale to raise funds if you need new furniture.
- If you need new furniture or carpets, order them now and arrange for delivery when you move in.
2 WEEKS before you move…
- Start packing up all non-essential items and non-seasonal clothing into boxes.
- De-register from your doctor, dentist and optician if moving out of the area and locate your new local healthcare and obtain registration forms.
- Visit the post office and arrange for the forwarding of post (you will be charged a fee for this).
- As part of your moving home checklist, notify your milkman and newsagent you will be moving and give them a date to stop their services.
- If you have children and or pets, arrange someone to take care of them during the move.
- Make a list of everyone who should know about the move and send out change of address cards or emails.
- Finalise the arrangements with your removal company or friends including new address, departure and arrival times.
- Arrange a time to collect the keys to your new home.
- Notify the banks of any changes to direct debits and standing orders and the change of address.
Don’t forget, you have people to notify of your move…
Services and Utilities:
- Post Office
- Satellite / Internet Service Provider
- TV licensing
- Banks / Building Societies
- Credit Card Companies
- Council Tax
- National Savings / Premium Bonds
- Your Employer
- Insurance Companies
- Pension Companies
- Inland Revenue
- Social Security
- Doctor / Dentist / Optician
- Prescription ordering / delivery
- Breakdown / Recovery company
- Vehicle Registration
- Vehicle Insurance
- Friends / Relatives
- Milk Delivery
- Sports Clubs
- Schools and Colleges